The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is calling for scholarship applications for studies and training related to theological, diaconal and development work.
Through the LWF scholarships program LWF works alongside its member churches in developing their capacity to serve effectively in their contexts. The scholarship program helps churches to acquire qualified personnel for spiritual care and diaconal work. The main criteria for a candidate approval is the church’s corresponding need to increase its human and institutional capacity, either in areas of theology or diakonia/development.
About Lutheran World Federation (LWF)
The LWF is a global communion of 148 churches in the Lutheran tradition, representing over 77.8 million Christians in 99 countries. We strive to put our faith into action within and beyond the communion, and seek God’s Word and Spirit to guide us. This action takes a variety of forms from theological reflection and dialogue with other churches and faiths, to deepening relationships, sharing about our faith, serving those in need and advocating for a more just, peaceful and reconciled world. We share a vision, purpose and values. We work to strengthen our relationships and build ... ... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Lutheran World Federation scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
LWF Doctorate scholarship
Aim and Benefits of LWF Doctorate scholarship
In total, 50-70 scholarships will be awarded for studies in diaconia and development and 20-25 for theological studies.
Duration of Programme:
- Regular scholarships for study programs of at least 1 year: The candidates are approved for at least 1 year of support to take up or complete their proposed study program. For candidates who have already started with their study program, this means that the study program has to last for at least 1.5 years at the time of application, hence 1 year at the time of approval.
- Short-term scholarships for training of up to 6 months: The candidates are approved for a short-term training which may last up to 6 months. This may include training courses, workshops, exchange programs or research projects which respond to the needs of the applying church. Application forms and selection criteria are the same as for regular scholarships.
Requirements for LWF Doctorate scholarship Qualification
- Church affiliation of the candidate: Only applications from active members of LWF member churches are considered. All applications must be endorsed and submitted by the church. No applications submitted by individuals will be considered.
- Nationality of the candidate: Only candidates from developing countries are eligible for scholarships in fields of diakonia/development. The theological scholarships are, in principle, open to candidates from all regions and countries.
- Age limits: Only candidates up to a certain age are eligible for LWF scholarships, depending on the pursued degree: For Doctorate is 45
- For candidates who are church employees at the time of application, age limits may be exceeded by up to 7 years for female candidates and up to 5 years for male candidates.
- For candidates who are actively engaged in the church’s theological or diaconal work at the time of application, age limits may be exceeded by up to 5 years for female candidates and up to 3 years for male candidates.
- Relatively higher consideration is made for female candidates due to social and cultural factors which cause them to pursue studies later.
- HICD needs of the church: The proposed training field and degree has to respond well to the human and institutional capacity development needs of the church. The requesting church must demonstrate convincingly how a given application would meet a specific and crucial personnel need in its overall ministry in church and society.
- Current and future position of the candidate: All candidates are expected to have been in the service of the church and/or community as employees or volunteers. There has to be a clear commitment by the church to engage the candidate as employee or volunteer in an area related to the proposed training after completion of the candidate’s studies/training.
- Quality of the application: The candidate must demonstrate convincingly his/her commitment, ability and motivation to pursue the training and to support the church afterwards (good educational and professional qualifications, recommendations and certificates, convincing character).
- Study place. The LWF encourages candidates to study in their home country or home region. In case a study or training program abroad is proposed, convincing reasons must be given in the application.
- Gender and youth quota: At least 40% of the approved candidates will be female; at least 20% will be youth below the age of 30 years. These quotas will not only apply to the overall approvals, but also to each church and region.
- Regional balance: The LWF seeks to ensure that candidates from different regions, countries and churches are being supported.
Application DeadlineOctober 1, 2020
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Lutheran World Federation (LWF) on webportalapp.com
You should apply via the new online application system. Applications can only be submitted through LWF member churches. Individuals interested in a scholarship should contact their church office.
For more details, visit LWF websitePost doctorate/Research scholarship by