We are searching the leaders of tomorrow. Are you a graduate with initial leadership experience? Do you come from Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa or the USA? Would you like to implement a self-chosen project that supports your career development, is societally relevant and has a lasting public impact? Are you interested in actively participating in an international network of dedicated leaders? Then come to Germany with a German Chancellor Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to take the next step of your career.
The fellowship programme is under the patronage of the Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. Up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships are awarded each year – up to ten per country.
About Alexander von Humboldt
We sponsor scientists and scholars, irrespective of academic discipline and nationality. We strengthen Germany as a research location through international research exchanges. We support our sponsorship recipients during their entire lifetimes and actively promote international understanding, scientific progress and development.
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Alexander von Humboldt scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
German Chancellor Fellowship
Aim and Benefits of German Chancellor Fellowship
This fellowship for prospective leaders brings you to Germany for one year to implement a project idea you have developed yourself. We will help you network with international future leaders here to find new answers to the global issues of our time. We offer you
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,170 euros, 2,470 euros or 2,770 euros – depending on your training and career level
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship,
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support, e.g. for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for an additional German language course
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society,
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organise smaller network formats with other fellows,
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
Your host institution will receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 500 euros.
Requirements for German Chancellor Fellowship Qualification
The German Chancellor Fellowship sponsors future decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders – regardless of industry. We invite you to apply if you
Checkout: 100 Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, Russian, South African or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October of the year in which the selection is made.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German
Application DeadlineOctober 15, 2021
How to Apply
Before applying, you should discuss the details of your project with your chosen host.
Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- letter of motivation: Tell us what drives you, what leadership experience you already have and what your career goals are
- project plan: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Why is your project of societal significance, and how will you be able to build bridges between Germany and your home country in the future?
- extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. We will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents.
If you have any doubts or questions, please contact us (info[at]avh.de) before submitting your application. We are happy to help.
For more details, visit Alexander von Humboldt website.