As part of the “In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at AERC are available in the following fields:
• PhD in Agriculture Economics
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from SubSaharan Africa with a Master’s degree who want to pursue PhD courses, either
- in their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
- in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home region (here: Kenya/outside their home country).
About German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
DAAD scholarship in Germany is a private, federally funded and state-funded, self governing national agency of the institutions of higher education in Germany, representing 365 German higher education institutions (100 universities and technical universities, 162 general universities of applied sciences, and 52 colleges of music and art) . The DAAD itself does not offer programs of study or courses, but awards competitive, merit-based grants for use toward study and/or research in Germany at any of the accredited German institutions of higher education. It also awards grants to German...... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
DAAD AERC PhD Scholarships
Aim and Benefits of DAAD AERC PhD Scholarships
The short-term research scholarship includes:
- a monthly scholarship payment for living costs
- health/accident/personal liability insurance
- a flat-rate travel allowance
Requirements for DAAD AERC PhD Scholarships Qualification
Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
Checkout: Scholarships for African students 2021/2022
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
- Please note: AERC might have additional requirements for admission to the institution.
Documents Required for Application
- Signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- A signed copy of the DAAD Information Sheet for Students
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates
- Certified copies of all university transcripts
- At least temporary admission letter including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- For faculty members, a reference letter from the Head of Department as a proof of employment (original
- PhD proposals which must demonstrate relevance to agricultural development
- Two (2) recommendation letters from academic referees who are at least Senior Lecturer in rank.
Application DeadlineDecember 15, 2020
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit their applications for admission directly to the respective host universities (application procedure can be obtained from the respective university websites). Upon receipt of an admission letter, temporary admission letter or letter assuring admission from the specific university, the applicant should apply for scholarship by submitting the following documents via http://scholarships.aercafrica.org/ not later than February 20, 2019
For more details, visit DAAD website.