The purpose of this scholarship is to enable an Indigenous student to undertake, under the supervision of a member of staff appointed by the College, a program of study at Flinders University leading to a higher degree by research.
Flinders University is a public university in Adelaide, South Australia. Founded in 1966, it was named in honour of navigator Matthew Flinders, who explored and surveyed the South Australian coastline in the early 19th century. Flinders is a verdant university and a member of the Innovative Research Universities (IRU) Group and ranks in the 10-16 bracket in Australia and 36th in the world of those established less than 50 years. Academically, the university pioneered a cross-disciplinary approach to education, and its faculties of medicine and the humanities are ranked amon... read more
The Professor Lowitja O'Donoghue Indigenous Student Postgraduate Research Scholarship provides an annual stipend, leave and allowances paid at a rate 20% higher than the published AGRTPS rate. The scholarship provides a Research Training Program Place (RTP).
The Professor Lowitja O'Donoghue Indigenous Student Postgraduate Research Scholarship is tenable at Flinders University for up to three years for a Doctorate by research, or up to two years for a Masters by research degree, subject to satisfactory progress.
Award holders undertaking a Doctorate by research may apply for one six-month extension of the tenure of their award.
To be eligible for consideration for the award of the Professor Lowitja O'Donoghue Indigenous Student Postgraduate Research Scholarship, applicants must:
· Be of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent; and
· Identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander; and
· Be accepted as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander by the community in which he or she lives or has lived; and
· Be currently admitted, or be eligible for admission and have applied for admission, to a higher degree by research at Flinders University.
The Professor Lowitja O'Donoghue Indigenous Student Postgraduate Research Scholarship will not normally be awarded to an applicant who:
· Is in receipt of an award which directly duplicates the purpose of the Professor Lowitja O'Donoghue Indigenous Student Postgraduate Research Scholarship;
· Is on paid study leave;
· Holds a fractional academic appointment;
· Is seeking the award to undertake a second higher degree at the same level of a previously awarded degree.
Selection of award holders will be undertaken by the Higher Degree by Research Scholarship Committee on the basis of academic merit and research potential. The Lowitja O’Donoghue Indigenous Student Postgraduate Scholarship is allocated as part of the annunal main domestic scholarship round. Applications will be assessed in accordance with the Higher Degree by Research Scholarship Ranking Guidelines.
Applications for the Professor Lowitja O'Donoghue Indigenous Student Postgraduate Research Scholarship will be called for in conjunction with the Higher Degree by Research Scholarship main round. An application submitted in the HDR Scholarship main round will ensure consideration for the Professor Lowitja O’Donoghue Indigenous Student Scholarship.
Applications should be submitted online through the Flinders University Student System by the specified closing date.
For more details, visit Flinders University website.