As a collaboration between Huza Press and the Goethe Institut Kigali, we are announcing a four-week writers’ residency in Kigali (Rwanda) in September 2021.
The purpose of this residency is to support writers as they complete or make significant advances with a work-in-progress novel manuscript. We are particularly passionate about literature as a space for opening up conversations about gender, its modes of construction, histories, representation and relationality to power: the theme of this residency is therefore writing gender.
About Goethe Institut
The Goethe-Institut is the Federal Republic of Germany’s cultural institute, active worldwide. We promote the study of German abroad and encourage international cultural exchange.
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Goethe Institut scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
Writing Gender Residency
Aim and Benefits of Writing Gender Residency
- This writers’ residency will be awarded jointly to two writers: one writer based in Africa and one German-speaking writer. Both writers will stay in Kigali for four weeks.
- During their stay, the writers will have space to work on their writing, have literary exchange with eachother and introduce their writing to a local audience.
- Transportation costs (a return economy flight ticket from home to Kigali) and visa fees will be covered.
- Accommodation during the four-week stay will be provided.
- Each writer will receive a grant of 2000 Euro for the residency period (inclusive of a per diem and private transport) paid inplace in two installments.
- Working languages for 2021 are English and German.
Documents Required for Application
- Letter of motivation documenting your writing career, a proposed writing plan for the residency and the reasons for your application (max. 2 pages, in English).
- Description of the novel to be developed during your residency and its connection to ideas of writing gender.
- Work sample from the novel that you want to work on during your residency (3000-4000 words) and one other published text.
- Curriculum Vitae/Full biography (max. 2pages, in English).
- All documents must be send as one PDF.
Application DeadlineMay 16, 2021
How to Apply
The application shall be sent to the following address: [email protected]
For more details, visit Goethe Institut website.