The Radio Art Residency is an international fellowship program for artistic practice on the radio. The program offers a three-month residency twice a year in Weimar for artists from non-German speaking countries.
The aim of the fellowship is to promote independent and open-ended artistic work and to support the realisation of new artworks. The program encourages artists from various disciplines to deal with the narrative, technical and artistic potentials of the radio medium, and specifically promotes exploration of radio as an instrument of communication and possibly even the questioning of what can be constituted as language by the radio. From the use of the radio as an exhibition space for artworks to real-time medium, the residency offers a wide range of creative options for artistic practice.
About Goethe Institut
The Goethe-Institut is the Federal Republic of Germany’s cultural institute, active worldwide. We promote the study of German abroad and encourage international cultural exchange.
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Goethe Institut scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
Radio Art Residency Programme
Aim and Benefits of Radio Art Residency Programme
- Financing of arrival and departure expenses
- Provision of accommodation in Weimar for 3 months
- A monthly fellowship of 2,300 Euros (includes material and production costs as well as costs for local transport and travelling)
- A broadcast in the Klangkunst (radio/sound art) program of Deutschlandfunk Kultur (national public broadcaster)
- Curatorial supervision and technical support by Experimental Radio at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. Provision of airtime by bauhaus.fm (via Radio Lotte)
- Work and present for a month in the exhibition space of EIGENHEIM Weimar
- A workshop with students from Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- An artist talk at ACC Galerie Weimar
- An artist talk as part of the radio talks series of Experimental Radio and concerts in the Studio for Electro-Acoustic Music (SeaM)
- Networking with relevant artists and institutions via the network of Experimental Radio and the Goethe-Institut.
- If possible, a German language course at a Goethe-Institut in the country of residence
Requirements for Radio Art Residency Programme Qualification
Checkout: Scholarships for African students 2021/2022
- The program is for artists working in the field of acoustic and time-based arts (radio, performance and sound artists).
- Applications are open to artists from non-German speaking countries without residence in Germany.
- Although experience in radio production is not necessarily required, an interest in engaging with the medium and using the radio for your own work is expected.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Radio Art Residency Programme
- You can choose to apply either for the period 1st of April until 30th of June 2022 or 15th of September until 15th of December 2022.
- Submit your application by January 31, 2022, 11:59 CET. Applications that are submitted late or incomplete will not be processed.
Application DeadlineJanuary 31, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Goethe Institut on gap-online.goethe.de
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Radio Art Residency would like to foster artistic practices on radio. Therefore, applications with a focus on mainly journalism, entertainment (such as talk shows, features or podcasts) cannot be considered.
For more details,visit Goethe-Institut website