AfECN wishes to announce the 3rd Cohort of the Africa Early Childhood Research Fellowship Programme, a research capacity building programme targeted at early-to-mid career African ECD scholars.
The Africa Early Childhood Network (AfECN) was registered in Kenya in 2015 as a non-profit professional network to serve as a platform for championing and promoting excellence and collaboration in ensuring positive early childhood outcomes in Africa. AfECN achieves this mission by advocating for protection of children’s rights, influencing policy and practice, strengthening partnerships, and sharing experiences and knowledge in Early Childhood Development (ECD) on the African continent.
About The Africa Early Childhood Network (AfECN)
The Africa Early Childhood Network was created to develop and advance coherent ECD policy development and implementation throughout the African continent. Harnessing the diversity of strong civil society organizations delivering critical programming and advocacy for young children, AfECN strengthens impact through coordinated action, driven in close collaboration and consultation with key stakeholders.
... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new The Africa Early Childhood Network (AfECN) scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
AfECN Research Fellowship Program
Aim and Benefits of AfECN Research Fellowship Program
As a Research Fellow, you shall receive the following benefits:
- Participation in one fully funded face-to-face meeting of research fellows and mentors.
- Placement(s) with partner agencies in a position to support and benefit from the work of Research Fellow in the areas research interest.
- Seed grants of US$ 4,500 guided by the fellow’s research plan.
- Guidance from mentors and mentorship groups who will engage with Research Fellows throughout the program including at face-to-face meetings and bi-monthly telephone conferences.
- Support to attend a conference and to facilitate dissemination of research findings.
- Linkages and connection to research funding opportunities and ECD networks
Award of certificate of completion
Requirements for AfECN Research Fellowship Program Qualification
- Applicants to this cohort should be doctoral degree holders who completed their PhDs within the last five years and are not older than 40 years.
- Additionally, they should be citizens or established residents in an SSA country, be affiliated to African Universities or research institutes and be in the early stages of their research careers in ECD-related areas.
- Recommended disciplines include Early Childhood Studies, Social Sciences, Foods, Nutrition & Dietetics, Health Sciences, Communication & Media Studies, and Law.
- The four Research Fellows will be selected from among applicants with excellent research ideas which propose innovative approaches to addressing the development of young children.
Eligible Countries: Priority shall be given to students from the following countries: Liberia, Mali, Sierra Leone, Niger, Chad, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Togo, Cote de Ivoire, Gambia, Cabo Verde, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Madagascar, Comoros, Mauritius, Seychelles, Somalia, Swaziland, Lesotho, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Cameroun, Congo Brazzaville, Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, Burundi, Equatorial Guinea, and Sao Tome and Principe.
Checkout: 100 Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions
Documents Required for Application
- A letter of intent giving an overview of the project on the attached form (a form-attached to this document as appendix 1).
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant (2 pages).
- A letter of motivation (250 words) describing the fellow’s research interests and how this research fellowship opportunity fits into the candidate’s career trajectory.
- A letter of commitment from applicant’s institution to support the research and endorsed by the head of the institution.
- A letter of mentorship support from a senior ECD scholar from the fellow’s institution.
- A letter of commitment from a host organization (an organization implementing ECD services or programmes) where the fellow will conduct their research work.
- One reference on the suitability of the candidate to participate in this programme from researchers, academics, or practitioners familiar with the candidates work.
- All the documents should be combined into one pdf document.
Application DeadlineAugust 30, 2020
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants are invited to complete and send in their application by Monday August 30th, 2020 (11:59 GMT). The applications and any inquiries should be submitted to the following address: [email protected].
Only applicants fulfilling all the requirements and who submit full applications within the stipulated deadlines shall be considered. AfECN is under no obligation to acknowledge receipt of applications and only successful applicants will be contacted. As part of the selection process, applicants may be invited for virtual interviews.
For more details, visit AfECN website.