The VCLA invites applications for the Helmut Veith Stipend from motivated and outstanding female master’s students who plan to pursue one of the programs in Computer Science at TU Wien taught in English in one of the following semesters:
- Winter semester 2023/2024
- Summer semester 2024
The Helmut Veith Stipend is awarded annually to exceptionally talented and motivated female students in the field of computer science who pursue (or plan to pursue) one of the master’s programs in Computer Science at TU Wien taught in English and have (or have the interest to develop) a solid mathematical and technical background in at least one of the areas in which Austrian scientist Helmut Veith worked.
The Helmut Veith Stipend is dedicated to the memory of Helmut Veith (1971-2016), an outstanding computer scientist who worked in the fields of logic in computer science, computer-aided verification, software engineering, and computer security. Helmut Veith, who tragically passed away in March 2016, was a strong advocate and mentor for women in computer science. More on Helmut Veith´s research on the pages of his research group FORSYTE.
About Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA)
The Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA) is an initiative of Technische Universität Wien – TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology). Located at the Faculty of Informatics of TU Wien, the Center is promoting international scientific collaboration in logic and algorithms. Moreover, the VCLA outreach activities are aimed towards raising aspirations of young people for academic pursuits and to raise awareness on the impact of the research done in the areas of logic, philosophy, mathematics, computer science, and artificial intelligence a... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA) scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
VCLA Helmut Veith Stipend
Aim and Benefits of VCLA Helmut Veith Stipend
Students who are awarded the Helmut Veith Stipend, receive:
- EUR 6000 annually for a duration of up to two years.
- Waiver of all tuition fees at TU Wien.
VCLA Helmut Veith Stipend Courses
Requirements for VCLA Helmut Veith Stipend Qualification
1. Applicants must be eligible for admission to one of the master’s programs in computer science at TU Wien that are taught in English. In 2023/2024 those are:
• Master in Logic and Computation
• Master in Business Informatics
• Master in Computer Engineering (Technische Informatik)
• Master in Data Science
• Master in Media and Human-Centered Computing
2. While applications for funding can be filed before or in parallel with the admissions process, the funding will only be awarded to applicants who have been unconditionally admitted to the master’s program. An application for funding does not replace the admissions process; neither does a conditional offer of funding entitle the applicant to study at TU Wien.
3. Female students who meet the following conditions are eligible to apply for the stipend:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Mathematics (Bologna first cycle) or equivalent degree
- Extensive mathematical and technical knowledge and interest in (at least one of) Helmut Veith’s areas of research:
- Logic in Computer Science
- Formal Methods and Verification
- Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
- Algorithms and Complexity Theory
- Computer Security
- Proficiency in English
Checkout: Scholarships for African students 2021/2022
- Recipients of funding must be committed to demonstrate good progress during their studies, i.e.:
- obtain at least 25 ECTS credits from the respective master’s curriculum per term on average since the beginning of their master’s studies (the deadlines are April 30 for the winter term and November 30 for the summer term), and
- achieve a grade average of at most 1.5.
- Recipients of funding have to reside in Austria during term time for the duration of their studies. Exceptions and temporary interruptions of the stay during term time (e.g., for internships or research visits) are subject to approval.
- The stipend is provided for the duration of the master’s program (subject to the conditions listed above), for up to 2 years.
Documents Required for Application
Students are required to submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter, describing the type of funding the student is applying for, and all other aspects the student deems relevant for the application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter, describing the reasons why the student wants to study in the chosen program, why funding is necessary, and with which groups of the faculty the student would be interested to work with during their master’s thesis and why.
- Reports on university examinations (transcripts)
- Diplomas and/or certificates (first degree, bachelor degree, or higher). If the final academic certificate is not yet available at the time of the application deadline, a preliminary certificate (indicating the type of degree and the expected graduation date) signed and stamped by the degree-awarding university must be provided.
- Contact details of two referees (for letters of recommendation)
- English language certificate (TOEFL or similar)
- Copy of passport
Application DeadlineNovember 30, 2023
How to Apply
A certified translation needs to be provided for documents that are not in German or English. Your application must be submitted electronically to [email protected] with a subject “Application” as a single PDF document. The name of the PDF file needs to be “document.pdf”
For more details visit: VCLA website.