The German Embassy Pretoria and LIA-Leipzig International Art Programme would like to invite artists from Eswatini, Lesotho and South Africa to apply for a three months residency exchange in Leipzig Germany. The Leipzig International Art Programme (LIA) is an international artist in residency programme located at the Spinnerei Leipzig (www.spinnerei.de), a former cotton mill and now cultural hub. LIA focuses on being a place for experiment and learning within a strong local artist community and a city rich of traditions. Local and international artists have an impact on each other while exchanging cultural experiences they are shifting the gaze. The founder of LIA, Anna-Louise Rolland, states, “at LIA, we believe that moving outside of our comfort zone leads to new perspectives opening up. International visual artists working together with professional musicians, public space and institutions like museums fits perfectly into this philosophy and this type of collaboration leads to new approaches being developed and new kinds of artistic exchanges taking place”.
LIA is a non-profit residency programme that fosters artists internationally by providing them with spacious studios and cultural support, as well as opportunities to exhibit at the Spinnerei. The programme links young artists with the regional art community. Good to know Leipzig offers a strong artistic community as well as ample art institutions. The Spinnerei (1884) is a unique creative work space of a former cotton factory. LIA is implemented in a structure of art institutions and art studios. 83 sqm furnished studio spaces and 5 meter high ceilings to live and work in. ... read more
• free accommodation in an 83 square meter furnished studio incl. curated group show in the residency
• coverage of travel and flight, visa and health insurance costs
• fellowship 760,00 € per month • curatorial advice by LIA director Anna-Louise Rolland
• group show mid January 2024 during the Spinnerei Gallery Tour
• residency dates: 1st November 2023 to 30th January 2024
pplications must comprise the following and be wrapped into one pdf file only:
• An expression of interest (500 words max.) explaining for example the project you wish to develop during the residency or research you would like to do and what interests you about working at the Spinnerei Leipzig
• A CV or biography
• Up to 6 images of your work or video/audio links
• The specification of the subject matter of your e-mail so we can file you correctly: Open Call African Leipzig
Please note the artist must speak a comprehensible English and come from and be based in Eswatini, Lesotho or South Africa. The residency does not include any further fees or stipend
Application deadline: 15th June 2023, 12 pm noon European Central Time, successful applicants will be notified latest by 30th June 2023
For more details visit: LIA website.