The Tongarewa Scholarships celebrate the University's commitment to our international student community. We award a range of these scholarships to international students each year. This is a partial fee-based scholarship that will go towards tuition fees for one year of study. Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
About Victoria University of Wellington
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Victoria University of Wellington scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
Aim and Benefits of Tongarewa Scholarship
Scholarship worths $5,000 or $10,000
Requirements for Tongarewa Scholarship Qualification
Applicants must be:
- international students who are paying full international fees
- entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
Checkout: Scholarships for African students 2021/2022
- completed your secondary education at a New Zealand school
- completed the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) or Foundation Studies Programme
- are a Study Abroad or Twinning student from one of our overseas partner universities
- are in your second year of study in the same degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Tongarewa Scholarship
Selection will be made by a panel made up of appropriate Wellington University International staff.
Documents Required for Application
The following documentation must be provided as part of your online scholarship application:
- a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining why you wish to study at Victoria University of Wellington, your academic goals and why you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community
- full transcripts and other documentation relevant to the qualification type
- an offer of place from Victoria University of Wellington (conditional or unconditional).
Application DeadlineNovember 30, 2023
How to Apply
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
For more details, visit Victoria University of Wellington website.