Are you a passionate young leader actively involved in advocacy that aims to build a healthier future for young people, society, and the planet?
Are you ready to be part of a global network with other young people who are creating positive change for the future?
If so, we want to hear how you want to make a meaningful difference and help ensure no one is left behind.
AstraZeneca is looking for young leaders from all corners of the world who are committed to advocacy in at least one of the following focus areas:
- Improving health equity and access - advocating to improve equitable health outcomes for all by reducing the distance between people and healthcare, particularly among marginalised and historically disadvantaged groups of young people. For example, advancing gender equity in healthcare for girls and women.
- Mitigating the impact of climate on health and healthcare - advocating for the mitigation of the harmful effects of climate change on the health and well-being of young people.
- Health system strengthening and resilience - advocating for stronger, more equitable health systems, prioritisation of youth-focused resources and collaboration across health system stakeholders.
Examples may include (but are not limited to) advocacy on these aims:
- Advancing greater access for girls and women to have greater healthcare outcomes, breaking down barriers and enabling greater access to healthcare information and services.
- Adopting long-term health system budget planning that addresses social, economic and environmental factors and workforce needs.
- Executing integrated non-communicable disease strategies that prioritise prevention and early detection.
- Utilising new technologies to reduce hospitalisations and improve access to high-quality, innovative care.
- Reducing socioeconomic inequalities through a "Health in all policies" approach.
- Advocating for climate reduction, mitigation, and measurement measures as it links to health outcomes for young people, particularly marginalised and vulnerable groups.
AstraZeneca recognises that prioritising prevention is essential if we are to meet the increasing demand for healthcare services and improve equitable outcomes. We need a fundamental shift from ‘sick care’ to health care, gearing our health systems to act earlier to prevent, and enable access to health education, literacy, and health empowerment.
AstraZeneca’s Young Health Programme (YHP) is a global disease prevention programme with a unique focus on young people aged 10 to 24, living in vulnerable environments and under-resourced settings around the world. The YHP aims to prevent the most common non-communicable diseases (NCDs) such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and respiratory disease.
A holistic and integrated programme, it combines community programmes, research and advocacy and supports the development of young leaders. The YHP is part of AstraZeneca’s sustainability commitment to accelerate delivery of sustainable healthcare and use our capabilities to strengthen health systems and improve equitable access.
Our mission is to foster sustainable, collective leadership focused on improving youth and adolescent health, with an emphasis on under-resourced and marginalised communities. Worldwide, young people can face many barriers in equitable access to healthcare, and their needs can be neglected by health systems and health policy.
- We believe that improving adolescent health and well-being will deliver a triple dividend: not only will it deliver major benefits for adolescents and for those around them, but it will also improve their health as adults and the health of the children they will have. An investment in adolescent health is an investment in the health of future generations.
- Since 2016, AstraZeneca, through its YHP, has partnered with One Young World to identify and empower young leaders who are advocating for a positive impact on youth health in their communities.
About One Young World
At the heart of every global threat is a failure of leadership. This new generation is the most informed, most educated, most connected generation in human history. One Young World identifies, promotes and connects the worldï¿½s most impactful young leaders to create a better world, with more responsible, more effective leadership.
The annual One Young World Summit convenes the brightest young talent from every country and sector, working to accelerate social impact. Delegates from 190+ countries are counselled by influential political, business and humanitarian leaders such as Justin Tr... continue reading
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new One Young scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
One Young World Young Health Program Scholarship
Aim and Benefits of One Young World Young Health Program Scholarship
We know that the One Young World Summit can unlock opportunities, spark ideas, and turn plans into action. We also know that young people often experience barriers that limit access to development opportunities, especially in under-resourced communities and amongst marginalised groups.
AstraZeneca's Young Health Programme (YHP) Impact Fellowship is designed to empower young people to build their skills, network, knowledge and inspire them to scale their impact and create even more positive change. Each year, the YHP selects young people who aim to improve equitable health outcomes for all by:
Improve equitable access to healthcare
Strengthen health systems
Address climate-health issues
Develop the next generation of health leaders and advocates
Fellows will receive:
- Full delegate access to the One Young World Summit 2024 in Montréal, Canada, from 18 - 21 September.
- Return air travel form your home country to Montréal (flights in economy only). Flights will be arranged by the OYW delegate services team.
- Shared hotel accommodation in Montréal checking in on 17 September and checking out on 22 September. Hotel accommodation will be arranged by the OYW delegate services team.
- Catering which includes:
- Dinner on 18 September
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner from 19-21 September
- Breakfast on 22 September
- A per diem of up to £48 per day spent travelling to Montréal and on the ‘pre’ and ‘post’ Summit days of 17, 18, and 22 September.
- Reimbursement of the Canada visitor visa application fee of approximately $110 Canadian Dollars (if applicable)
- Return transfer from airport to hotel via public transport.
- Access to AstraZeneca’s YHP Impact Fellowship. The Fellowship will provide a combination of live and self-taught learning and development opportunities throughout the year to help Fellows scale their impact. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Participation in an award-winning online mini-MBA program, complete with a University accreditation, 12 months of material access, and other opportunities.
- Invitation to join the YHP ALumni Group and network with other young health leaders from around the world after attending the OYW Summit.
One Young World Young Health Program Scholarship Courses
Requirements for One Young World Young Health Program Scholarship Qualification
- Aged 18 - 30.*
- Proficiency in English (speaking, reading, writing)
- Nationals of all countries are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Ability to fully-participate in-person, at the One Young World Summit (17-22 September 2024) in Montreal, Canada.
- Willingness to share insights, help co-create commitments to action, foster partnerships, and serve as ambassadors on AZ’s health equity and YHP work where appropriate.
- Access to the internet and a device (computer, phone) that will allow them to participate in live, online Fellowship sessions – this will not be provided to Fellows.
- Selected individuals are expected to fully participate in the YHP Impact Fellowship and One Young World Summit. Any misrepresentation or inability to participate fully may jeopardise their Fellowship benefits.
*Most delegates are between the ages of 18 and 30. The selection committee will consider applications from those who are older than 30, pending demonstration of appropriate personal impact, initiative, and willingness to engage.
Application DeadlineMarch 21, 2024
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to One Young World on www.oneyoungworld.com
For more details visit: One Young World website.