The Merit Scholarships program for foreign students is offered to students who pursue vocational training, technical training at the college level, or studies at the university level. The program is offered in order to attract the best international candidates for studies in Québec and to encourage student recruitment in programs with good job and research prospects.
The Merit Scholarship program allows recipients to benefit from:
- a scholarship that provides financial assistance during their studies
- an exemption from the differential tuition fees payable by foreign students
- health insurance protection provided by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)
About Government of Québec
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Government of scholarship is going on. Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button ↓
Government of Québec University students
Aim and Benefits of Government of Québec University students
- Doctoral research scholarships: $25 000 per year. The maximum duration for this scholarship is three years, with a possible extension of up to 12 months. In the case of an extension, a monthly allowance of $1 000 is provided.
- Postdoctoral scholarships: $35 000 for one year, non-renewable.
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships: $3 000 per month for a period of up to four months.
In addition to the scholarship, all recipients are entitled to an exemption from the differential tuition fees payable by foreign students, and to health insurance protection provided by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
Requirements for Government of Québec University students Qualification
To be eligible, students need to pursue studies or research activities at a Québec university. Scholarships are available for:
- doctoral (PhD) programs
- postdoctoral studies
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships
Application DeadlineNot Specified
How to Apply
- For Vocational training students application: To submit a Merit Scholarship application, please visit the Québec métiers d’avenir online platform provided by Éducation internationale. Once your application has been submitted, Éducation internationale will verify that it is complete and that all documents are up to date. Relevant educational institutions will then make their selections from all submitted applications.
- For Technical training students at the college level application: All applicants must be preselected by an educational institution. Scholarship applications to be preselected by public colleges are submitted to the Fédération des cégeps [available in French only], while scholarship applications to be preselected by subsidized private colleges are submitted to the Association des collèges privés du Québec (ACPQ) . To apply for a Merit Scholarship, please contact the public [available in French only] or private college in question .
- For University students applications: All applicants must be preselected by an educational institution. Preselected applications are then submitted to the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) . To apply for a Merit Scholarship, please contact the university in question [available in French only].
For more details, visit the scholarship websiteTechnical training students at the college level scholarship by